I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Tuesday 4 August 2020

MONSTER MASH

Hello!

Well here we are in August... 2020 really has been an upside down inside out year!

I’ve achieved lots of sewing since my last Post....

Monster tee shirts for my nephews little family ..  the monsters are taken from the pattern Mix and Match Monsters by Shiny Happy World.   I did not use a stabiliser behind the appliqué as it was ironed on fusible appliqué so the actual fusible web is enough to act as a stabiliser.   The stitching is all within the appliqué, it doesn’t actually have any stitching on the shirt.   This method is just straight stitching, still with feed dogs engaged so not sketchy appliqué. My 1800 makes this easy as it has auto lift which is fantastic for appliqué.

 

      

I’m still hand stitching farm blocks... this is my project to work on when we are out for coffee.  

I’m still enjoying making string and selvedge blocks on my treadle...  I now have the 10” foundation papers from Missouri Star .. our phone books are very small so I only get a 6-1/2” square from those ... the 10” papers will enable me to make larger blocks using longer strips. 


I’ve made the kangaroo block for my machine appliqué version of Land Down Under.. Pattern by Red Boot Quilt Company. 
LAND DOWN UNDER



Here’s my Half hexagon  quilt all finished...washed and dried.    This one will be for the new single bed I’m planning on putting in the office/treadle room.   






Last October I pieced the Casablanca Sunrise top (pattern in Quilt Now) so I’m quilting it all with the walking foot and will use it as a table topper. 

On my Facebook I mentioned my tool box I now keep just about all of my tools that I use on my machines.  I find this works well.... everything in one place. 


Another idea I’m now using.... a work basket for the days sewing.... anything I use throughout the day goes in this basket so I’m not constantly searching for snips, seam rippers, pencils, pins  etc etc. 


I’m making a quilt for a good friend of ours.... he has been giving us jars of his home grown honey for years so when I found the bee fabrics I knew I had to make him a knee quilt.  I’m using a wide single fold binding on this one.   I think I’ll do a tutorial myself on how I do this as most of the ones I have found do not do it wide like I do.   The actual quilt is just yardage front and back, no piecing. 

New gadget alert....... I recently purchased the Creative Grids Folded Corner Clipper...... I’m using it to pre-trim the ends of binding and to trim the join at the end as well.  This ruler is fantastic!



There are a few other projects in the works but I’ll keep those for the next Post.

Cheers for now,
Helen

No comments :

Post a Comment