I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Thursday 13 August 2020

CHRISTMAS IS COMING...........


Hello again!

Despite having a bad back for the past week I have been getting things done..... 

I finished the binding on my Casablanca Sunrise quilt ...  I use the Perfect Binding Miter tool to measure the seam allowance and the mitre turn.... for this quilt I used a 3/8” seam allowance.  I use the Perkins perfect piecing seam guide when setting a normal 1/4” seam allowance.

Perkins perfect seam guide and the perfect miter tool
Perkins perfect piecing seam guide
Glenna’s perfect binding miter tool

I’ve been trialling the Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy product ...  you can print on to it using your printer so I printed my duck embroidery and then hand pressed the piece of Fabri-Solvy onto my piece of fabric (it’s a pressure sensitive product, you do not iron it on). Then you just embroider through the Fabri-Solvy.  Once the stitching is complete you rinse the article in warm water and the Fabri-Solvy dissolves completely.  I didn’t enjoy hand sewing through this product so I probably won’t use it again for this purpose but I must admit the stitching looks nice and plump and there is no distortion from rinsing the product out.  

Trialled the Sticky Fabri-Solvy on hand embroidery


Built a rocket ship appliqué ..... here it is being layered on my FUSAMAT
The fusamat is fantastic for layering appliqué.  

Ironed on ready for machine appliqué 

After building on the mat you have one unit to iron onto your shirt or whatever project you are doing. 

Hand pressed a piece of Sticky Fabri-Solvy on inside of shirt (Fabri-Solvy is pressure sensitive so no need to iron). I did the machine blanket stitch on my Brother 1800. 


Made a little tool belt for a friend 
Pattern is from Makeitloveit 

Casablanca Sunrise table topper finished
Pattern from Quilt Now UK issue 56



Rocket ship completed
Very happy with the stitching using the sticky Fabri-Solvy behind appliqué 

Here’s how it looks before I cut it around the outside 


Ready to hand rinse in a tub of warm


Needs a press, but very happy with the results. 

This shirt will go into my Christmas 2020 stash, it’s time to start making gifts. 

Cheers from Helen

1 comment :

  1. Great start on your Christmas gifts with your lovely projects.

    ReplyDelete