I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Thursday 2 July 2020

JUNE?? WHAT JUNE?

Hello!

So did you see June?  It seemed to go from May to July somehow!  June was a no show really😁. 

On the sewing front I’m still plugging away sewing up the stash. 

I’ve been asked to make a few masks for a friend so I’m playing around with various patterns ...




I’ve finished two more STASHBUSTER quilts... one for Maisy  and one for Amos.  I used up a few large chunks of fabrics for backings and did flanged bindings for the first time. I really like the flanged binding for quilts like this.  It will hold up to lots of washing and use.   Here is a link to one tutorial about flanged binding..  https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2015/01/flanged-binding-tutorial.html

The STASHBUSTER pattern is great for sewing up those large pieces of fabric that have been sitting in the stash for too long.  I’m starting another quilt soon.  








I managed to find a replacement hand wheel for my 201K treadle so now I can sew without my fingers getting sore spots. The old hand wheel was very rough.  I’m still sewing up string  blocks on 6-1/2” phone book paper but I’ve recently received my packet of 10” squares I ordered online. These are Missouri Star papers https://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/10-Paper-Piecing-Sheets-Missouri-Star-Quilts.html, I’m looking forward to making larger string and selvedge  blocks. Our phone books are very small these days so I can only get the  6-1/2” squares from them.   I do enjoy treadling, I find it very relaxing. 




Hubby and I are still staying close to home, only venturing out together for a coffee at our local bakery.   I’m still not keen on visiting large shopping centres or the like so I haven’t been anywhere bar the local grocery store, butchers and fruiterers.  We are quite happy to stay home for now, we’re even cancelling our gym membership until next year.... we’re not happy to mix in with everyone else at the gym just yet.   

So that’s it for now... the footy has returned so it’s Thursday night footy on Tele tonight ... I think I’ll just watch something on Netflix🙂


Cheers, Helen







3 comments :

  1. This has been the strangest year ever! Glad you are keeping busy with your sewing. It is a great time to have a stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! As I just shifted the stash from one room into another, I now realise I need to sew faster!

      Delete
  2. Nice new header Helen ..
    Two great stashbuster quilts for Amos and Maisy.
    Thanks for the link for the flanged binding....

    ReplyDelete