I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Sunday 21 July 2013

SEWING SATURDAY

BLOCK # 4   A4A QUILT-ALONG

My fabric choices for this block made it a little tricky to construct - I just had to have everything running the same direction!  but I'm very happy with the end result.   I spent all Saturday afternoon making this one!

This is the last of the 'very large' blocks!  I don't think I've ever made blocks 20" or more so it's been a good challenge.  I'm learning something every day.

I now have two tins of spray starch at the ready (I'm using Crisp) and once again, I used heaps of it on this block - but it does make it easier to match everything up.  Many many pins help too:-)

Today I will get the Batik version of this block done.  I have to decide what to do about the Batik quilt as I don't have enough of the current Contrast fabric I'm using to finish off the whole quilt so I might just make up a mini quilt and use up what I have and then start another Batik version using a new Contrast fabric I purchased this week.  I have lots of Batik fabrics to use up.

I'm going to try and get the sashing on my Aussie Log Cabin quilt today too - poor thing has been booted off the design wall and is waiting patiently beside the machine...  really must get it done!

Have a lovely day!
and Happy Sewing,

Cheers from Helen

FABRICS USED IN THIS BLOCK:-


BROWN CONTRAST FABRIC -  "MONOCHROMATIX" BY PATRICK LOSE FOR ROBERT KAUFMAN
BLUE TRIANGLES -  RAINBOO ZOO BY AMY BLAY FOR RED ROOSTER FABRICS
GREEN -  "FUNKY FLOWERS" BY LINDA LUM DEBONO FOR HENRY GLASS FABRICS
ORANGE - RAINFOREST COLLECTION BY  CORAL TREE FABRICS "SUMMER RAIN"
BROWN/BLUE/GREEN FLECK -    SEI Playday Rectangles and Dots / spring ROBERT KAUFMAN
WHITE FLORAL CORNER TRIANGLES - BROOK  BY CP DESIGNS FOR STUDIO e  FLORAL TURQUOISE


5 comments :