|BATIK BLOCK # 4|
USING THE NEW CONTRAST FABRIC
I have had an enjoyable day in the sewing room, only surfacing for cups of tea and some quick grocery shopping! Today I decided to use the 1/4" foot that I purchased recently for the Singer 201K. It has the little black guide on it which results in a true 1/4" seam but I needed a 'scant' seam allowance, so I figured it out and I was quite pleased with the results.
Plus I found a new way to square up the quarter square triangle blocks .... my 'strip tube' ruler...
I found a great tutorial on how to do this..... HERE Julie used the Quilt In A Day’s Triangle Square-up Ruler but I found the Strip Tube ruler did the same job. The quarter square triangle blocks came out very well using this cutting method.
I'm still waiting to order the June Tailor ruler (stock due next week apparently) but I was happy to find a substitute in my Aladdin's Cave of stuff!
As I have used the new 'contrast' fabric in this block, I will re-do blocks 1,2 and 3 as well. I only have a little bit left of the 'contrast' fabric I used in the original Batik blocks so I'll choose one or two more blocks that will fit well with the ones I already have and turn it into a mini quilt or maybe a table runner. I have heaps of batik fabrics to use up and I now have 3 metres of the new 'contrast' fabric!
I'm getting through those 'odd' reels of thread too. I love how you can wind a bobbin on the Singer on the side and not have to re-thread the machine every time. She winds a beautiful bobbin too - so 'even' if you know what I mean. I think I've used up about 6 reels of odd amounts of weird colours! great - now I can buy more thread:-)
Sadly no further ahead on my Aussie Log Cabin quilt. Tomorrow!