I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Sunday 9 April 2017

My Mountains

Here is how I make my Majestic Mountain blocks -   If you only use one set of squares and you are using stripes or plaids, you will end up with your stripes and plaids going in different directions in the one Mountain block.   I didn't like that so I cut two sets of squares so I can have my stripes and plaids going the same way and I end up with two Mountain blocks.  I spray starch my fabrics prior to cutting out my squares.  These fabrics come from Op Shop / Thrift Store second hand mens shirts, all cotton.  I try to buy XL shirts with long sleeves.

In this set my dark pink stripe is vertical 
Place a check square RST with pink square - my squares are cut 8-1/2" square


 
Cut on the diagonal- I use the 45 deg angle on my ruler. 
 
This set has the dark pink stripes running horizontally - my 
black plaid was not directional  - cut this set on the same diagonal without
moving the set, it must be cut on the same diagonal as the first set without moving or rotating
this set. 


Chain piece the triangle sets
Square up your HST to 8" and cut into 2" strips.  I don't have a photo but
I press the seam on my HST's open.  It makes it much easier when
you come to join the strips later.




Lay out the 2" strips to form your first half mountain

Joint the strips in sets of two then four and then joint the two halves together.

This is the back of one block.  I like to press the centre joining seam open and then
press the seams on each side away from the centre.

This is the block that used the horizontal stripes


and this one has the vertical stripes

I am enjoying making these blocks.  Hubby is away at present, so I've set up a sewing station out in the lounge room right in front of the tv.  Bliss!

Happy Sewing,
Cheers from Helen














5 comments :

  1. Thanks Helen for the tutorial on how to make the mountain blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial...why does it make me want to make some???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! they are fun to piece, I now have 21 blocks made so will keep sewing until I think I have enough.

      Delete
  3. That is one of my favorite blocks. Thanks for the hint on the matching.

    ReplyDelete