I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Tuesday 28 October 2014

MINI FARM QUILT

Today we are experiencing extremely hot weather..... AGAIN!  although there is at least a slight breeze today.  I'm staying in my sewing room, fan on, and I am adding the borders to the mini farm quilt.... think I will call this one "Hobby Farm"...

This is how I measure for borders....  I cut my strip, lay it down the centre
of the quilt top, pat it down without stretching, then cut off each end square with
the quilt sides.  

cutting off the end

and the other end

Pinning the strip to the side of the quilt - I'm pinning left to right as I am
sewing this project on my Featherweight and using the seam guide.  Lots
of pins! 

Here we are at the machine

As I have Pellon on the back of the embroidered blocks, I have reduced
the foot pressure on my machine, this helps with any "creeping" of
the border fabric.
Sorry for blurry pic (using my phone!) but for the ladies who
sew on a FW, this is what I mean by reducing the foot pressure.
There are around 5 or 6 threads of the screw showing whereas during
normal sewing on my machine there are usually only 2 or 3 threads
showing.   
Here I am adding the last borders

Now on to the next and final border!

It is now 6:30pm and I've sat on this Post all day!!!  I am now up to the quilting which I'm doing on my Brother PQ1500 machine as I had it all set up ready!  I will post a photo later of the quilting.

Happy Sewing,
Cheers from Helen!

3 comments :

  1. looking good! Nice way of doing borders....I measure across the centre but never thought of 'getting rid of the middleman'! Great idea! Thanks Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you do this...I'm always ??? about measuring my quilt for borders! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete