I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Friday 24 October 2014

GOLDILOCKS.......

and the Three Bears Sleeping Bag!   Pattern by Flossieteacakes     This was such a fun item to make!

Our little Bridget (Great-niece, 6 years old) pinned the pattern on her Pinterest Board some time ago and I mentioned that I already had the pattern!  So then I was asked if I would make one for Ruby, the cute little rabbit - measurements were emailed over to me and then I forgot all about it!

I was planning on meeting with my sister (Bridget's grandma) last Wednesday so thought I should get this made and delivered.....  


Sleeping Bag for Ruby

Luckily I had a pile of four patch blocks made as Leaders and Enders so they became the sleeping bag quilt top.

nice fit! - I made the Papa Bear size!

"are you looking at me?"  ....... love the look on Ruby's face!


I'm so glad I did get it finished and delivered as Bridget was sleeping over at her Grandma's that night and of course, so was Ruby!  so the sleeping bag was very well received.

The pattern is well written with pieces you join together after downloading.  I followed the pattern all the way but when I make another one (which I'm sure I will) I will cut the binding wider.  The pattern uses single fold binding which is good for a small project like this one but I would cut it around 2" wide (pattern uses 1-3/8")  and once attached with a walking foot width seam, the fold over will be easier to work with.  I missed about one inch of the pillow fabric when I attached the binding so in future I would make that piece just a little bigger and baste it in place first and then trim off the excess.  I was able to slip stitch that missed bit and I'm sure Ruby didn't notice!  This is what happens when you sew late at night!

As usual, I included a book with the gift.....



I did all of the sewing, including the quilting and binding, on my Featherweight 222K.  I love using this machine!  It sews and quilts beautifully.......
quilting on my Singer Featherweight 222K


So, if you are looking for something cute and easy to make for a little one in your family, I can honestly say that you can whip this one up in one evening!!

In other sewing news, I am making another Farm Quilt but instead of the usual one with 12 embroidered animals and 13 four patch blocks, I'm making a Mini Farm Quilt.......


If you are new to my Blog, click on the words Farm Quilt in the labels below this post and you can see the other Farm Quilts I have made.  This pattern is a great "go to" one when you want some hand sewing to do or a quilt for a new baby.  The original pattern was by Ella and Skysie Designs but I am not sure if it is still available.  I've had it for many years. (I've just googled it in and it appears you can still buy this pattern through Mallee Quilts)

My Delightful Stars quilt is at a standstill.   I might get back to it soon depending on how hot the weather gets - we are forecast to have 38 degrees C on Tuesday :-(     Sewing during our Summer is not enjoyable but I do still manage to get some things done!   Christmas is coming too so I had better get a move on with the things I want to make for the family.  

Happy Sewing!
Cheers from Helen

No comments :

Post a Comment