I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Wednesday 17 July 2013

BATIK BLUES.....

BLOCK 3 - BATIK VERSION

Okay, two things..... First thing.....ignore everything I said in the last post 'Spinning Pinwheels' -  DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT press your seams to one side anywhere in this block - trust me!   I know.....  you would think it would work just as well as pressing them OPEN but noooooooo.   Believe me, I have a number of brumby blocks to prove this point!   Pressing the seams open all the way definitely gives you much more precise blocks and they go together so well in the end.  Plus....  even when I made pinwheel blocks in the Civil War quilt-along, I DID press the final seams open anyway!  so I was still able to use my 'stab' method which made me happy!

Second thing....  go out and buy copious amounts of spray starch.... you're going to need it!  Honestly, I probably used half a can on just this block but look how FLAT it is!!!  crispy too :-)

So if you are just joining in on the quilt-along, follow Michele's instructions and advice!

I'm trying to purchase the ruler that is recommended for this quilt-along.  It's the June Tailor Perfect Half Square and Quarter Square Triangle Ruler.  One online supplier carries it here in Australia but they are out of stock.  I'm off on a little shop hop tomorrow to see if I can find it!

One more day and Block # 4 will be posted....  can't wait!   I'm really enjoying working on this project and I'm loving sewing on my Singer 201K.    Oh ....  I've made a space in my room to bring the Singer 201K Treadle upstairs so I can get her sewing as well!   This machine belonged to my MIL and hasn't been used for probably 10 years so I'll be getting a new belt for sure.  I'm looking forward to treadling again!  haven't sewn on one since my school days!

Happy Sewing!!
Helen


7 comments :

  1. Oh yes, I can see where open seam would be crucial in that block. Yikes.

    Have fun treadling away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block looks great Helen and Yes I did press my seams open but didn't use any spray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blocks. I've been traveling so today is my first chance to sew since Lesson 3 was posted. Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon? I'm really enjoying these too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thankyou Helen for that tip.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good Helen, wish I could join but I always fall behind, maybe when I retire I can join all you lovely ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your block looks great! Love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete