I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Friday 1 March 2013

NEWFO # 2

Here we are at the end of February...  how did that happen?  So, it's time to post about my Newfo project for February.  I recently made a quilt for my Aunty (my Mum's sister) - I used up lots of floral fabrics and blender fabrics that I must have had for years!  I didn't get a great photo but here are a couple my sister took when we were delivering the quilt....


I named this quilt "Jewellery Box" as my Aunty loves jewellery and the quilt block reminded me of a big jewellery box.  Aunty loved the quilt and it looked lovely on her bed.

So, what is my Newfo # 2 ???    ...   Aunty wants a pillow sham to match the quilt!  Yes, I'm destined to only make pillowslips for my Newfo projects :-))     A pillow sham can mean many things, but I believe that Aunty wants a wrap around cover for her pillow.  I will make a large rectangle using all of the leftover fabrics from the quilt, layer it up with some cotton batting and a pretty backing and stitch it all together using the method where you just leave a gap along one edge and turn the whole thing inside out.  You know what I mean!!  It won't be like an envelope pillowslip, this piece will just go from under the pillow and over the top.

Here is my package all kitted up:-


To check out all of the other NEWFO's for February, go HERE.

I've come down with a summer cold so not too much sewing going on but I do have another video to post tomorrow!


Happy Sewing!!




8 comments :

  1. What a lovely gift. I'm sure the pillow cover will be beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pillow shams work! What a beautiful quilt. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Helen, no wonder she loved it and wants more to go with it! Hope that cold goes soon and you can get back to full-speed sewing again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous quilt! I bet the sham will be just as pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you be my Aunty too. Love your quilt. Kathleen I found you on the FO challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered your blog through Sew Many Ways "Fiend Friend Linking party", your creations are really beautiful, I like your style and the colors you use to create the quilts.I'm also participating in the NewFo challenge . I am a new follower here! I give you the link to my blog, if you like my projects, I invite you to follow me.
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/
    Have a happy sewing day!
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project! The pillow shams are the perfect complement to such a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete