I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Monday 6 June 2011

LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT!!!

Hello there!   Soooooo, did anyone guess what I might have bought???   Sorry, no prize if you did but isn't she just the most beautiful thing you have ever seen????   The Singer base with marble top is one I already owned and it also has history in my family, but the machine has come to me via a lovely family who found that they could not keep this in their home and I am just over the moon to have it here in my own home.  It's not easy for someone to part with something this precious and I feel honoured that they felt comfortable selling it to me.  It sews beautifully and hums along like a dream.  I have never seen a machine with a knee shifter instead of a foot pedal and felt at home using it right away!!  My Mum had a treadle that was converted to electric which I could use quite well when I was younger - you could use it either way and I was taught on the treadle.  My new machine dates back to 1949 and is in such wonderful condition.  As you can see, I have made a place in the sewing room for my lovely new machine and I just can't wait to use it!

Now, what could be in the box???

A beautiful Singer 201K, electric with knee shifter, that's what!!!

Here she is close up ---  I'm in love!!!


Plus she came with all of her bits and pieces and the manual!!

































I'm still working away at catching up with my Civil War blocks.... here is Block #  20   New England


Now onto Block # 21...

Happy Sewing!!


4 comments :

  1. I did guess! It is exactly the same as the one my mum had when we were growing up! Do you know you can trace its origin through the little metal plate which should be below the gold oval plate on the right. Let me know if you want more info- I have the website somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't guess - and I love it. It's even better that it came with the manual and attachments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's gorgeous and looks like she's been lovingly cared for. You're going to have some fun sewing with her. I'm in love with the Singer 15-91 I bought a few months ago - mine is from 1948 - I've been busy getting acquainted with all her original attachments. Lots of sewing fun! Enjoy your new treasure. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete