I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Wednesday 20 February 2019

SHINGLES


and I don’t mean the ones on your roof🙄😕

Hello!

I’m recovering from a dose of Shingles, not a good thing to get let me tell you!  But I’m pretty much all over it now so I’m back sewing again...... yes, I didn’t even feel like sewing!

So what else is new here at Aunty Henny’s ?

Well let's get up to date .................

I've just started a new applique project..... I am doing two versions of Red Boot Quilt Company's quilt "Land Down Under" . One by machine and one by hand applique.   I'm using my Brother Quilters Edition for the machine applique.  It's in need of a service which is happening early March.

LAND DOWN UNDER QUILT
MACHINE APPLIQUE VERSION
WOMBAT

HAND APPLIQUE VERSION OF THE KOALA

SEWING ON MY BROTHER QUILTERS EDITION



NEW POT HOLDERS FOR THE KITCHEN
GREAT USE FOR THE SELVEDGE BLOCKS

I had a play with the Hex and More ruler and made these cute folded drink coasters.  They sew up very quickly and I now have a bowl full of them.  You don't need any wadding for these. 



PETIT FOUR BASKETS

I had a lot of fun before Christmas sewing these Petit Four baskets - the pattern is from byAnnie and they are so much fun to make.  I would recommend using the Soft and Stable as per the pattern (it really does make a difference).  The items in the bottom left of the photo were for a Xmas Market that I participated in (Ballerina Bag made by my friend Sue and the bird hanger made by my sister Sue!)

BOWL COSIES FOR CHRISTMAS GIFTS

I made heaps of Bowl Cosies for Christmas Gifts....  some were for overseas gifts but I also made a lot of them for our family Christmas day.....  I passed a shopping bag around the room and everyone chose the ones they liked... it was a lot of fun!  my Brother-in-law commented that they were the most useful gift I've ever made!   I did use the Wrap and Zap wadding which does make for a cosy that has lots of body and is very comfortable to hold.

TREADLE SEWING

I have set up my Singer 201K treadle in the beautiful 7 drawer cabinet and I just LOVE treadling!  I made a test block for a quilt my friends and I are working on and the treadle was so lovely to use and the piecing was perfect!  I have since pieced up a quilt top on it but I don't have any photos as yet.

CHRISTMAS CAKE FROM MY SISTER (FRUIT CAKE!)
Each Christmas my sister makes us a delicious traditional Christmas Cake and my great-niece decorates it.  My sister sets me a challenge for her gift from me.... this year the colours were silver and white.  I made a silver/white bowl cosy plus a red/white/silver one and placed them in a pretty white serving bowl with a silver placemat underneath.  Mission accomplished!

CHRISTMAS BOWL COSIES

BEESWAX WRAPS!
My friend Sue gifted these fantastic beeswax wraps to my friends and I for Christmas.... I'm loving them!  We are planning on making our own.... we do have the fabric!

Thanks to my wonderful friend Ged I now have this little darling in my collection.......  A Singer 40 hand crank.  She's a lovely little machine and stitches a beautiful chain stitch.



So my friends, there you have it!  Thanks to my friend Val for mentioning to me on Tuesday that my Blog was very quiet..............   done!

Thanks for reading!  

Happy Sewing! and Cheers from Helen


3 comments :

  1. Those shingles are nasty. Hope you don't have too many lasting symptoms left.

    You have done a great job on all of your sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks 🙂 yes just about all clear now. Glad to be back sewing.

      Delete
  2. Sew good you are over your shingles...
    WOW lots of fabulous sewing since your last post.

    ReplyDelete