I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Wednesday 6 June 2018

KEEPING UP................THE BLOG !

PORT MACQUARIE
RAINFOREST CAFE

Hello there!

Yes, it's me ......  really!     Gee whizz! I last blogged in January.....where did February,March,April and May go???

Let's get up to date......

FMQ ing ON MY
SWEET SIXTEEN
STITCHING IN THE DITCH
ON MY PQ1500












My current project is the Teddy Bears Picnic quilt.... I'm up to the machine FMQing, having already stitched in the ditch on my Brother PQ1500...  The pattern "The Teddy Bears Picnic" is by Toni Alexander of The Red Boot Quilt Company. I've changed the sashing - I love using partial pieced sashing as you can cut it all the same length.  I cut the sashing for this quilt on my GO CUTTER using the 2-1/2" strip die... I had a layer cake of bright plain fabrics so my sashing is 2-1/2" wide and 10" long.  I cut the applique blocks back to 8" square.  The formula for partial piecing is block size (8") plus width of sashing (2-1/2") less 1/2".


 I'm playing with a new gadget too! I bought the VersaTool ruler  and I'm using it to go around the applique shapes.... so far so good!

By Air By Rail By Sea
Pattern by Heathers Designs
Patchwork at the Bay Window
At long last I finished my By Air By Rail By Sea quilt!  I've been doing the machine blanket stitch on this project since 2014!!!!!
Fun backing



My Brother Rob and I gifted the quilt to Amos when the family were visiting recently.   Smiles all round!  I quilted this one on my Sweet Sixteen with Aurifil 80wt thread.  This required altering the top tension to almost zero! but once I worked that out the quilting went well,  I even had a go at doing artistic shapes!   I put two planes in the sky on the by rail row and seagulls in the by sea row.  Lots of clouds all over and some trees on the rail row.  Lots of fun and a good way to learn more about my Sweet Sixteen. 

Hubby was overseas on holidays during April so I went to visit my sister in Port Macquarie..  I had made her this quilt but did not get it finished in time to take it with me but just today I've posted the parcel!  I loved making this one..... I collected shirts from Op Shops - small print cottons and I backed it with a vintage sheet. Pattern is Fat Quarter Slide   Vintage sheets and shirts make such lovely and soft quilts.  I learnt a lot making this one... for instance I've never been successful in adding the pieced border, in this case the tumbler border.  I've finally worked it out!  you construct the pieced border first, then measure it and then that is the figure you need to work out the size of the filler border between the quilt top and the pieced border!
Fat Quarter Slide


Once the Air, Rail, Sea quilt came off the sewing machine, I decided to try another machine applique pattern - this one is Citrus Sizzler.  I'm using zig zag stitch with Konfetti thread in needle and bottom line in bobbin.
        
Another current project
Citrus Sizzler



Zoe Zebra is finished!  I took the finished quilt to show my friends in "Frame Quilters" group and ask about how to quilt the four cornerstones and also if the quilt needed any further quilting.   They suggested a flower like the one in the quilt top for the cornerstones so I copied the flower and reduced it by 50% and then made a freezer paper template to use for the FMQing.   They suggested the purple flowers needed something so I did more quilting in those too.  I need to get a better photo of the finished quilt.

 



I bought a new gadget for my vintage sewing machine...... a Pinker! it attaches to the sewing machine where the foot screws on.  You either remove or unthread the needle.  To have a play I pinked the edges of the join on the backing of the Air Rail Sea quilt. Click here to see the gadget in action on the Featherweight Schoolhouse site.  What fun!!!  Takes me back to when mum made little fabric covers for jam jars !  we always pinked the edges!

Quite a few years ago I bought the Curve Master foot, so lately I've been having a play.  I attached it to my Featherweight. 

The Car Quilt I'm making for my ODIBAG stash is waiting for backing and quilting. 

We visited Esk for another Antiques Fair and on the way we stopped at Wivenhoe Dam for coffee, just lovely!
I've been playing with curved piecing too!
My car quilt almost finished
this one for my ODIBAG stash

During hubby's holiday I was in charge of feeding the Kookaburras!
This is what I woke up to one morning!!


Another Siggy for my collection



Wivenhoe Dam

Enjoyed a few days of r & r at our
Unit on the Gold Coast
New Easter shirts


The view from our balcony on the Gold Coast

3 comments :

  1. Well....your months have certainly not been boring. You've been creating such lovely pieces and traveling as well. Nice to see a post to get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I didn't realise it had been sew long since your last post...
    You certainly have been busy creating sew many beautiful quilts....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maria and Mary. I’m not receiving email notifications when a comment is posted, trying to work out why.

    ReplyDelete