I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Tuesday 27 May 2014

SEWING WHEN YOU'RE SICK......

IS A BIG NO NO!

I've been under the weather with Bronchitis for over a week but today I decided that I felt well enough to do some sewing.....
LESSON # 14   Block # 22

LESSON # 7   Block # 4

One thing I am learning on this quilt along is that it might be better if all of the blocks using the Tri-Recs rulers were made at one time.  I'm sewing on my Featherweight Singer 222K and it took me some time to get the seam allowance set for the Tri-Recs units (skinny flying geese on Lesson # 7).  I had the seam allowance just perfect the last time I made units like this but of course the machine has sewn other items in between and I had to start all over again in checking the seam allowance.  Although I'm happy with the Block, I can see areas where my accuracy is not so perfect!

Lesson # 14 was pretty straight forward.  I used the June Tailor Perfect Half & Quarter Square ruler to trim the Quarter Square Triangle units and the Half Square Triangle units so the block went together okay.  I made each unit oversized and then trimmed down, makes it more accurate when joining up the units.

Feeling under par probably didn't help as I was sewing these blocks so I think I'll have a rest now and tackle another block or two tomorrow.... or maybe the day after....


Happy Sewing!!
Helen

No comments :

Post a Comment