I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Friday 7 February 2014

A NEW ADDITION TO THE FAMILY......


My vintage (1957) Singer 222K Featherweight

sorry if you were expecting photos of a baby!  well, this is MY new baby!  I've been searching for one for a little while and found this one locally!  the lovely lady even delivered it to me!  Her father was a Sewing Machine man and had this little machine amongst his collection.

I've had a little play on her and she sews beautifully!  everything is in tip top working order and even the power lead has been checked and tagged.  Look at the manual ---  bound! and in perfect condition. The cream box has the extra feet.  In this photo you can just see the scroll end of my Singer 201K treadle and beside her I have my Singer 201K knee shift, so now there are three Singer machines for me to play with!

Temporarily I have the Featherweight set up on the table end of the treadle but I will find her a proper home soon.  I still have one more old sewing machine base with a marble top so might bring that inside and use it.

A lot of people name their Featherweight machine, I'm giving that some thought!

You can see that the decals are a little worn on the front but that just makes me love her more!  it means that someone used to sew on her frequently.  I wonder what things she used to sew?

I'm going to use this new machine to sew my Delightful Stars blocks.  Hopefully I will get to work on Lessons 2 and 3 over this weekend,

Happy Sewing!
Cheers from Helen

7 comments :

  1. oh lucky you Helen.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is absolutely stunning Helen. She looks very elegant a proper lady. How about a name for her with a title like Lady Jane or H.R.H. Her Royal Highness? Just some suggestions to get you started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always drawn to the vintage items that look as though they have actually been used. Wonderful find.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Featherweight looks terrific. I would hate to have one in such perfect condition that you couldn't use it without hurting its value! Have fun selecting a name for her and thanks for visiting my blog.

    Take care,
    Susan in Texas

    ReplyDelete