I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Wednesday 25 April 2012

DO YOU ZAKKA?

My Zakka Pin Cushion
Back of Pin Cushion

I have been thoroughly enjoying looking at all of the gorgeous creations appearing on Flickr in the Zakka Style Sew Along.  Have you checked it out?  Click here.  I purchased the eBook (love being able to download and read instantly!!) and today I printed out the Pincushion instructions.  So cute!  I only have one piece of linen...  a pretty blue.  I wanted to do a test run first, as I haven't worked with linen much (thousands of years ago I did make linen shorts - no further details will be forthcoming about those shorts!)  My linen is quite a loose weave so I was a little concerned about hand sewing the opening shut, but it worked out okay.  In my rush to get this little project done, I forgot to check which way my lace was facing when I sewed the front and back together.....   I actually inserted the lace between the seam when joining the two front fabrics as my lace was cut off a linen hankie (the pattern sews the lace over the top of the join of the two top fabrics)......So anyway, my lace is facing towards the printed fabric but it is supposed to be facing towards the linen.  The pin cushion in the book uses a covered button on the front but I didn't have any covered button pieces in my lucky box so I used two very old buttons which look quite pretty.  I think I will give this little pincushion to ***  (can't tell you as she reads my blog!!)

Now that I have had a practice run, I will make one of these cuties for myself!

Happy Sewing!!

7 comments :

  1. Very pretty! I made one for myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you never mentioned this over coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you never mentioned this over coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute. I have one of the books, and want to get busy making a few of the items. Linen, not so easy to find, without paying a fortune. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute pincushion. I will have to check out that site.

    ReplyDelete