I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Friday 7 October 2011

HOVERING HAWKS FOUND IN SCRAP BOX!

BLOCK #  39   HOVERING HAWKS

That got your attention!!   I made this block COMPLETELY from my Civil War Scrap Box.  I found the already pieced HST's and some matching squares, so this block came together very quickly.  I decided to crop my photos to show how they will look once "in the quilt" so trust me, all the points ARE there!

Also caught up with Block #  32  CAROLINA LILY....

This block called for set in Y seams, but as I have never done that I used all HST's and rectangles - I used some already pieced HST's in this one too!  I might have a go at the Y seams version later on down the track:-)   I made this one last night and I see my "pressing" is a bit rough!  (top row)   Will have to fix that!

I added to my Civil War stash this week.....  picked up a few fat quarters when my friends and I were on the Quilt Shop Hop on Wednesday.  We had a lovely day, down by the Bay. 

I just need to make BLOCK # 31  EMPTY SPOOLS plus the most current block put up last Saturday, BLOCK # 40  ORDER NUMBER ELEVEN which is an Applique Block and I will be ALL CAUGHT UP!  Thank goodness!  I wonder how many more blocks there are to come?  

The little baby quilt is waiting to be layered and quilted, might get that done over the weekend!


Happy Sewing!!


6 comments :

  1. Doing great - Y seams why? HSTs do the job just as nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! Don't be too stressed by Y seams! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you fussy cut those dark squares in the first one. I have an old quilt that is the Carolina Lily pattern. It is dear to my heart since I am a Carolina girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like all your blocks, but Love!! the first one....

    ReplyDelete