|Royal Critters - with borders!|
|I took a close-up so you can see the fabrics better!|
Today, after some serious vacuuming of the stairwell and surrounds (I know - more cleaning!!) I managed to get the borders on my Royal Critters quilt. I wanted to follow the pattern and use the Elephant fabric for top and bottom and the Monkey fabric for the sides, but on closer inspection and after trying to make a first cut, I discovered that the Monkey fabric was printed with the pattern running lengthwise (I only had 30cm) and when I looked more closely at the Pattern photo, it had the Monkey fabric joined so the Monkeys were up the right way! I wasn't up for that plus to my dismay, all the special fabrics I had purchased in this range (Owl, Elephant and Monkey) were printed askew!!! I used the Elephant fabric for top and bottom borders, but it was extremely difficult to keep those Elephants walking in a straight line!!! I went for the Owl fabric for the side borders and it was a little better and then fussy-cut the Monkey fabric for the cornerstones. If I had tried to use the Monkey fabric they were also printed askew and there was no way they would have lined up for my borders!! Very disappointing when I think of the price I paid for this fabric!!!
Oh well, it's done now!! Tomorrow I will hopefully get the backing cut and pieced, then get it all ready for quilting.