I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Thursday 20 January 2011

BLANKET STITCH

I have had a few emails asking me how I do my blanket stitch.  Firstly, although I do have this stitch on my machine I prefer to do hand blanket stitch.  The stars on my Seven Sisters block are done by hand.

There are numerous methods for blanket stitch, but I really like the so called English version... if you click HERE you will see how this is done.  You basically stitch from the outside in, instead of how it is usually done.  I find this is much easier, as when you commence stitching, you start at the outside of the applique taking your needle down and then bring it back up through the applique area.  This stops the outside edge of your fused applique from lifting, as when you do the stitch the way we were all taught, you are always bringing your needle UP on the outside edge, therefore lifting that edge just a little.  This is what causes a lot of applique to lift.

Now for my method of not using the arm of the stitch at the point....    I just take the thread down to the point, do a lock stitch (ie:  poke your needle down and back up again almost in the same spot..... I try to catch a teeny bit of the applique fabric at the point) then carry on up the next side of the point, taking your next stitch to meet up with the stitch on the opposite side.  If you look closely at my stars on my Seven Sisters block you will see what I mean.

I hope this clarifies things!

Happy Sewing!

3 comments :

  1. Interesting... I've never thought about blanket stitch like that before! I'll have to have a try, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy to do; difficult to get it done as perfect as you manage to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally use the machine, but it is a nice stitch!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete