I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Tuesday 29 December 2009

IT'S A BUGS LIFE!!

At least, it is in my SEWING ROOM!! :-(

Two days ago I was playing nicely in my sewing room, working away on the Beach Quilt. I had hung another design wall (a piece of cotton wadding) and had placed all of the blocks in rows. Yesterday I returned to the project and began sewing the borders around each block. I had finished a block and naturally was admiring it and turned it over to check for threads etc and imagine my horror when I found...... a bug eating my embroidery!!! He had chewed through a number of blanket stitches and had put a generous hole in the background fabric. Following the bugs demise, I started to think "where did it come from"? and of course, it was the cotton wadding! On closer inspection of the cupboard where I had the wadding stored, I found a few moths and one more insect the same as I found on the quilt block. Turns out it was the larvae of the Carpet Beetle. Yuck!! I knew there were Carpet Beetles in this room but had never thought about what else they would eat!!!! SO, GUESS WHAT I WILL BE DOING THIS WEEK???? I have to empty out the WHOLE room :-((((( , thoroughly vacuum and clean, then get the carpet cleaned and then get the pest control man in to treat it..... again! Now, I don't know if your sewing area is anything like mine, but boy oh boy--- am I in for a big week!! I have "stuff" everywhere - in bags, boxes, plastic tubs, drawers and cupboards. I've done some research and looks like the best thing for me to do with my sewing is to put it in a product like Tupperware. Ziplock bags don't keep the little pests out, apparently! The wadding will be going into those "space" bags - the ones you use your vacuum cleaner to suck all the air out of and then seal! I'll have to measure it all first and make a note of what's in there. I was quite upset about the embroidery that was eaten, so I pulled it all out and re-did it. I have put the wadding in the dryer on HOT for about an hour, apparently that "should" kill any eggs. I also have a whole roll of wadding, so the next sunny day we get (can't believe it, but we have gone from drought to flooding rains) I will put the whole lot out on the clothes-line and give it a good airing (this also kills the eggs, so I have read). As you can imagine, I have started sorting through all of my embroidered projects (and there are many) - most of these are waiting to go into quilts - I will hot iron all of the pieces (another way to kill the eggs) and then store them in an airtight container.

Now I ask you...... did I need this right now????

I'm back working on the Beach Quilt today, I want it all pieced together and ready to quilt, then I'll start packing up and moving out! So, if you don't hear from me for a few days you'll know exactly what I'm up to!

Happy Sewing

(pls note: I've deleted the Chinese comment ---- IT'S SPAM!!

4 comments :

  1. Helen,
    I had the cheekiest comment writen and it just disappeared. I guess your carpet beetles ate it!@#$ He He! Anyway it stated how very sorry I was that you were having to go through this at the begining of a new year and that I would be fit to be tied if I had to clean out my sewing room and that I probably should as there is no telling what it might have lurking in there. Good luck and Happy New Year! Love ya, Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, first...the pram is so cute. 2nd...I am so sorry about your bug problem. I can't even imagine trying to empty my sewing room. Wish I were there to help you....things like that are always more fun with help. Think how nice it will all be when you are done. Have a good New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please forgive the sloppyness...I forgot to preview and had to delete to make corrections.

    Helen, first I want to thank you for the lovely little coaster you sent me, every time I set a cup of tea on it I think of my quilting friend over yonder!
    2nd: I am so sorry for your buggy problem! I hate to tell you this but I just cleaned my sewing room,sorted everything into color stacks, seperated strips from scraps, etc. I do this at the end of every year. Also do my file cabinet. It feels great to start out a new year all clean and organized. It last for about a month, then back to messy old normal!
    So my guess is that when it is all done you will feel really great and the bugs will be hungry and homeless!(or dead)

    Please think about my Pay It Forward challange, I am still in need of 3 new people. Invite your friend to visit my blog and join in the fun. I have little gifts waiting for three lucky people. I did change the address of my site, it is: missdsquiltypleasures.blogspot.com

    Peace and Prayers
    missd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen,
    tks for you visit and your compliment! I´m new to all this. I´ve had another blog www.teardakitess.blogspot.com in which I´ve been posting about quilting and Australian quilters in particular, but decided to create a blog in English so I could feel part of this fantastic community of crafty talented women. I´m 59 with a 20 yr old daughter. We seem to be following the same time schedule!
    Have a nice 2010 and let´s keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete