I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Tuesday 6 October 2009















Hi,

Quite often, I will make the comment: "I'm hoping to pin the ..... quilt" - the above photos might explain the word "hoping".  You see, my cutting/pinning table is outside on my deck, therefore if it is raining (if only! Brisbane has been in serious drought conditions for years now) or windy or dusty then I can't do the pinning!  Thought you might like to see my view from the cutting table!  

There are the most beautiful birds which visit our hill - cockatoos, lorikeets, parrots, eagles, ducks - next time I spot the really pretty ones I will take a photo and post it!

I now have the Flea Market Boxes quilt pinned ready for quilting.  I'm thinking of doing a large meander with a few loopy flowers thrown in or maybe a few hearts here and there - we shall see!  I'll set up the machine tonight and hopefully get started!  Just have to clear off the table - it seems to attract piles of fabric, papers, patterns etc etc etc.

More later.......

9 comments :

  1. Gorgeous quilt - those fabrics are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! It is for my Niece Mahala, who is very artistic - I thought she would like the retro fabrics! They are from the Flea Market Fancy range - the only thing I found slightly annoying..... the fabric frayed a lot! but after some hours trimming.... the back looks o.k. and now the quilt is pinned ready for some quilting!
    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt - can I suggest you check out Youtube - Sharon Schamber for her method of basting quilts - it saves on the knees etc and is quick and easy compared to scrabbling around on the floor

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt. I have been trying to get something started and I think sometimes simple patterns like you used really highlight the fabrics. I would find it hard to do anything with a porch that has a view like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful view from your cutting table and the quilt is so cute. I love that pattern and hope to make one myself (add that to a very long list). I also really like the bag in your blog header. Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm expecting it all to be finished when I see you on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lynda,Sue, Nancy and Ethne,
    You're right Nancy, sometimes the view can be distracting! I'll be checking out the you tube soon Ethne, thanks for telling me about it. Yes Lynda, I did make the bag - it's from Quilts and More/Fall 2008 and it's called Pick a Pocket. Very easy to make and fun to use. I'm all ready to start the quilting on the Flea Market Boxes quilt..... and no Sue, can't promise the finished article by Friday!
    Thanks everyone for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Flea Market Boxes quilt! You do lovely work! Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog which helped me find your fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Helen,

    It's the first time I'm here visiting your weblog and I like it very much. Your Flea Market Boxes Quilt is wonderful. You did a great job!
    And....thank you so much for wanting to swap a siggy with me. Mine is on it's way to you.

    Many greetings,
    Inge from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete