I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Tuesday 15 September 2009

TRIP TO TOOWOOMBA


   The trip up to Toowoomba was great!  My sister and I went to help out with Chloe's Birthday party - we were very popular!  I made the "party hats" i.e: cardboard butterfly feelers and my sister Sue organized the party games.  I took this photo at sunset when we were out at my Niece's property in Oakey (near Toowoomba).



I found a new patchwork shop on the drive through Toowoomba.   It is called Precious Time. These are the fabrics I purchased - I'm building a stash to make the Popsicle Posies Quilt.This will be another quilt where I should be able to use the wide binding technique - just love the fact that the binding is done and finished in no time!

This coming Friday marks the end of another school term..... two weeks holiday is stretching before us..... we will take one week at the Gold Coast and have a week at home.  I'm planning on taking lots of hand sewing --I have already started on yet another Farm Quilt!! - this one will be for Bridget.  I love embroidering the farm animals. You can see pictures of the animals in my photo gallery.    I just do them in back stitch, using two strands.  Someone commented recently on how neat my work was.... ah ha! I have a trick..... I use the 630 iron-on pellon behind my stitching.  It makes the embroidery "sit up" if you know what I mean!  If you don't like using pellon, there is another product called Weaveline which is a stabilizer you iron on the back.  It gives your fabric more "body".  I have also started a new Christmas Wall Hanging which is an applique project. The pattern is from the Homespun magazine.  Photos soon!

My birthday flowers have opened up into beautiful blooms.........





Happy Sewing!


2 comments :

  1. I went to Toowoomba! I love the fabrics for your popsicle quilt. I have never done embroidery although I have a quilt that my grandmother embroidered. It is nice to have some hand work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! My grandmother taught me how to embroider. I remember sitting beside her doing embroidery on tea-towels. I always have some hand work at the ready as my husband (he is retired "again!") and I go out for coffee just about every day! He sits and reads the newspaper and I do my embroidery!

    ReplyDelete