I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Tuesday 8 September 2009

MY NEW BAG


I have finished the new bag - using the Turtle fabric from Samoa.  It's turned out quite well.  The pattern (from Kiwi Quilts) did not require a padded base, but I have put one in as it makes the bag stand up much better.  I have a little wooden turtle I am going to stitch onto the front of the flap, just over where the magnetic catch is positioned.  I am very thankful to have found the instructions for attaching the magnetic clasps http://craftapple.wordpress.com/2007/08/15sewing-tip-installing-a-magnetic-snap/  - without it I would not have had a clue!  I also found this site, with another view on the subject http://nicolemdesign.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-insert-best-magnetic-snaps-ever.html.  I like both ideas!

The Turtle Bag is having it's first outing tomorrow.  My husband and I are going down to the Gold Coast for the day.  Definitely having a swim and a coffee (something we do often - i.e: coffee NOT swim!!)

This fabric has a very special meaning to me, as I used to live in American Samoa (Pago Pago) and I bought it on a holiday there a couple of years ago {from Forsgren's}. My husband and I lived in Pago Pago for 4 years - 1988 to 1992 and we have very special memories of our time there.  

Here is a picture of the little turtle.

Until next time,

Happy Stitching!


4 comments :

  1. Loved seeing the bag in real life. As usual you've done a great job. It's a great size. May just have to give it a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bag. I haven't gotten into making bags yet. I made my older grandson a backpack last winter. It was one with a drawstring at the top. I found the pattern in a quilting magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fabric bag and this is simply amazing! hugs

    ReplyDelete